Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Orgasm & Heart Rate

What science can tell us about sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
SeekingChange

Orgasm & Heart Rate

Post by SeekingChange »

Have you ever kept an eye on your heart rate around an orgasm? What have you found, does it higher or lower it?

I am not a fitbit, or any of the like, wearer/user. But since I have had to keep an oximeter nearby to keep an eye on oxygen levels, and now heart rate, I noticed something somewhat surprising.....

I would have thought that having sex and orgasming would increase the heart rate. Now granted, during the act I have not monitored it, but right after I have checked my numbers, and surprisingly my heart rate is actually lower for a short time after I have orgasmed.

Anyone know the science behind why it might lower?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Irnmyk
California King
California King

Re: Orgasm & Heart Rate

Post by Irnmyk »

I keep my eye on my heart rate always, sex or no. Sorry that I have to do that, but I do.

Don't know when you are checking as to the timing during or after the "O", and if after, how long after. It is documented - I've read it on the internet; can't be wrong can it? - that orgasm lowers BP.

Now, I can tell you that it doesn't last long enough to get up, get dressed, get out and get to a physical to get the benefit where passing a maximum BP test is a crucial part of success in obtaining whatever occasioned the need for the physical in the first place.

But, it is said to lower BP, and since BP is created by the "pumping" rate of the heart, those are related.
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

Nope, I take my watch off so it's not a distraction to either or us but maybe I could keep it on for a less adventurous session and see what the results are.
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

I know my heart rate also rises and falls... but I don't know if it falls below my baseline. And now I'm going to have to Fitbit this thing out.
Wife of 22 years
Ron
California King
California King

Post by Ron »

Not sure why it would drop, kind of unusual I think.

I did read that individually, when we orgasm, we reach the same heart rate nearly every time. If you wear one of those smart watches that measures heart rate, you can identify orgasms from it.

So, then, there was a suggestion that spouses wear a watch that monitors their heart rate when their spouse is out to make sure no funny business happened while they were out!
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

Once I measured my heart-rate prior to having sex when all my equipment was 'ready' to go. As I recall, my heart rate was maybe 110 or something close to that. I did not measure it after sex, but I do know that since I do most of the work it takes my heart a few minutes to go back to baseline. So, I would say that having an orgasm did not lower my heart rate, at least not immediately.

I think I will try this experiment again...

Not to hijack the thread, but I can say that over the last year I have been working out for ~ 30 minutes on a rowing machnine 5 days a week, and THAT has dropped my BP and lowered my resting heart-rate to 48. Also, after sex it now takes a MUCH shorter time for my heart rate to go back to baseline than it did prior to doing consistent exercise.
ALL_IN
King bed
King bed

Post by ALL_IN »

My Heart rate goes up, but hers seems to stay about the same
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
LBD
On the floor
On the floor

Post by LBD »

I check it often - before, during and after sex too. Varies with physical level of the act of course, but even calm sex will get me into the 100's. A good romp has been measured in the 120's.

This is good because I am supposed to be getting my HR up for at least 20 mins a day, so when I'm unable to exercise otherwise...."Honey, I need to get my HR up...." ;)
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
Epaminondas
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Epaminondas »

According to my Apple Watch my peak HR around orgasm is in the 117-125 range with a few outliers up around 135 during what must have been move vigorous or maybe standing positions.
Oldbear
California King
California King

Post by Oldbear »

My heart rate definitely goes up, and no doubt my BP, too. Mrs. Oldbear’s, by observation also expenses a higher heart rate.

Return to “The Science of Sex”