Does great sex create a happy marriage, or vice versa?

What science can tell us about sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Re: Does great sex create a happy marriage, or vice versa?

Post by newwifenewlife »

I know couples that say they have a great marriage except for sex but when you drill down, they’re very unhappy in significant areas that will eventually tank their relationship. It may not be in a year or two but you can’t drive an engine “low on oil” or with the check engine light on indefinitely.

Yes, individuals and couples go through difficult seasons of life, what a couple does in those times is what elevates or eliminates closeness and intimacy, which increases or decreases marital satisfaction over time.
Will 103
Single
Single

Post by Will 103 »

We took the view from the very beginning that it is not our decision, it is commanded in scripture and we have to do it.
Neither of us is inclined to look to closely at what the Bible really says about conjugal rights and obligations because we like the idea that we are doing it to be obedient; it seems to make it more fun.
And it might just be hormones but we always feel very loving afterwards!
PaulB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by PaulB »

Will 103 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:10 pm We took the view from the very beginning that it is not our decision, it is commanded in scripture and we have to do it.
I agree with you 100%. But a lot of folks have a problem with that idea. I suppose it's just a small part of our wanting to be in control.
Happily married for 36 years and living the good life near two of our grandsons!

Marriage and Sex Educator & Blogger
The Generous HusbandThe XY Code
firefly
Double
Double

Post by firefly »

PaulB wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:56 pm
Will 103 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:10 pm We took the view from the very beginning that it is not our decision, it is commanded in scripture and we have to do it.
I agree with you 100%. But a lot of folks have a problem with that idea. I suppose it's just a small part of our wanting to be in control.
I would have to agree. Scripture should always take precedent.
RedsPastor
Double
Double

Post by RedsPastor »

For us, it's a "cycle". And I can tell a difference when she and I are having our regular personal worship time (pwt). Whether it's a "sex day" or not, when we have regular personal worship times, the sex is even hotter...which then leaves us praising God and feeling closer to teach other and to Him the next morning. If we start to not have our pwt, even on the days when we have sex, it's like a cyclinder isn't firing quite right. It's still good, and we still enjoy the intimacy, but it's not the ::praise that is can be...if that makes any sense. But I do think it's a cycle. When we have great sex, our overall marriage is effected (even our PWT). And when our marriage is firing on all cylinders, it makes for great sex.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. -- 1 Corinithians 15:10

Return to “The Science of Sex”