Conscience

What science can tell us about sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Mike smith
Queen bed
Queen bed

Conscience

Post by Mike smith »

What factors are involved and who is involved in the creation of our conscience.
It is my inclination that the sources of our conscience are many including culture, parental and societal influence , scripture, the Holy Spirit, and yes, even Satan. Satan wold love nothing more than binding us with a falsely restrictive conscience.
DoveGrey
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Re: Conscience

Post by DoveGrey »

Mike smith wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm Satan wold love nothing more than binding us with a falsely restrictive conscience.
There's a true statement. You have only to look at the beliefs (or lack thereof) of people who have left highly restrictive religions. There is sometimes a hatred among them that is heartbreaking. It's also infuriating to realize that their hatred was caused by people claiming to speak for God. Any subsequent hatred of the concept of a higher power is understandable. Satan has a grip on those churches that can't be overestimated.

I would add to your excellent list the ability to feel empathy for others. This exists in varying degrees among individuals, and in my experience has a significant influence on conscience.
"She will do him good and not evil
All the days of her life.
"

~23 years and counting~
bandaddie
King bed
King bed

Post by bandaddie »

In practice, in my life: Conscience = Holy Spirit
There are many spirits in the world. There is only one Holy Spirit. It it feels wrong, violating God's Law, it is not of the Holy Spirit.
In our lives, there is no further discussion.
Etihad
Cot
Cot

Post by Etihad »

bandaddie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:23 pmConscience = Holy Spirit
I honestly wish that this was valid for all Christians.
However, I have been around Christians all of my life, and I'm certain that I'm just as guilty of it, that have acted out of the best of their understanding/belief of what the Holy Spirit wants them to do - and many times it was damaging to the situation, Christianity and thr faith. I've actually seen full-on spirit-filled-believers push people as far as east is from the west away from wanting to open up to Christ. Being an observer of these situations, it was easy to see where the good, godly intentions were messed up by non-holy-spirit influences/actions/words.

I believe that our conscience is formed by so many different things/influences. Therefore we are told to "be in this world, but not of this world". We out to constantly recalibrate our views with and by the Holy Spirit.

As for me, I wish that I was doing a better job at that...
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I believe there's something created in us, so all are born with a form of conscience. Our environment will influence how it is developed...whether it's sensitive or seared.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.

Return to “The Science of Sex”