Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

10/05/21 - How strict were your parents?

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Irnmyk
California King
California King

Re: 10/05/21 - How strict were your parents?

Post by Irnmyk »

@SC's post above caused me to think.

The OP's question were qualitative - how strict were they on a scale, and I answered that above.

What it didn't ask, but I think germane to the theme of the thread is how do I feel about that now.

My lifelong best friend and I both had strict parents - very strict. Even when his dad was strict on him (it was his dad in his case), since we spent most of our time together, I had to work off some of the punishments with him, so I learned the lesson he was being taught. I value that as much as any strictness or discipline that I got from my own parents. He may have been more of a father to me than my own father.

He and I, both old men now, look back over our lives and we are both more grateful than I know how to express here that our parents were as strict on us as they were. We had buddies that we envied in those days whose parents let them get away with anything and everything, but as it turned out, their lives didn't work out too well for them. We don't envy them now.

So, thank you Mom, (and friend's Dad) for being the strict disciplinarians that you were.
Krista
Double
Double

Post by Krista »

My Parents were very strict. Until I got married I had never MB or seen a naked man. I also had never shaved. I always remember girls making fun of me when we would take a shower. I am Asian and I was extremely hairy. Anything sexual was taboo. I was so naive. I couldn’t understand why girls were talking about me being so hairy. My private part was so overgrown.

Anyway now I know.
TxGuy
Double
Double

Post by TxGuy »

My parents were probably an 8 out of 10. We were drug to church three times a week. We went to church on vacations. We were expected to make good grades. If you got licks (the board) at school you got whipped with a belt by dad at home. We did not play video games when they came out. We had 4 TV channels and that was very limited watching. We were put to work on the farm as soon as we could hoe weeds. We worked 10 hour days on the farm. We started driving at age 9 or 10 though. We were taught not to curse, drink, smoke, do drugs or have sex before marriage. We were offered a 4 year college education but were not forced to take it. We were whipped when we misbehaved and grounded from our car when we were too old to whip. We were given our first car bought by my dad. We had a curfew of midnight in high school and college even to the day we moved out.

I am very grateful for my parents and their raising and discipline. I had a friend that would drop me off at home and stay out til all hours of the night. He once told me after he got a young girl pregnant that he wished his parents had been as strict as mine were. I’ve never don one drugs, never been in jail or had a DWI. I thought if I could be half the parents that mine were I would be proud of myself. I tried to raise mine the same and we were even more protective of our kids as my DW had been sexually abused and we were not going to allow that to happen to our kids. We were successful and our kids have thanked us for what we did already and they are all in their 20’s still.

I just lost my mom at age 83 last week. I was always sure to tell her often how much I appreciated and loved them for the parents they were.
Proudly married for 24 years. Through all the ups and downs we are blessed to be together.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

TxGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 pm I just lost my mom at age 83 last week.
::bh So sorry about your loss.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
LovingHimAlways
King bed
King bed

Post by LovingHimAlways »

My parents were a little bit older by the time they had me. I was the youngest and also the only girl so I got away with more than my three older brothers did. However, I was always a rule follower and never pushed the limits.
jennifur895
Cot
Cot

Post by jennifur895 »

Fairly strict - but also, I think fair. If anything they were just not very communicative with me as I had more questions about becoming an adult woman, with all of the changes. They viewed communicating about that sort of thing as vulgar.

Return to “Question of the Day”