05/10/2022 If you could visit a past decade, which one?

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.

FIRST POST IN THREAD

LovingHimAlways
California King
California King

05/10/2022 If you could visit a past decade, which one?

Post by LovingHimAlways »

Better late than never... :lol:

If you could spend a month in any decade from the past, which one would you visit?
Last edited by Link+Zelda on Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made sticky and OP will stay at the top of the page.

END FIRST POST

LovingHimAlways
California King
California King

Re: 05/10/2022 If you could visit a past decade, which one?

Beaglebag wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 pm Just curious: how many people are picking the decade of their childhood? For me, that would be the late 80's and early 90's. I'm sure it wasn't as carefree as I remember, but I only have positive memories of those decades.
I went with a decade that was before my time. The 1950's. I've always fascinated with that decade.

If I went with a decade from a personal standpoint. I would choose the early/mid 90's. When my babies were born and both of my parents were still alive.
DoveGrey
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by DoveGrey »

I have been fascinated by the 1940s since I was small, so that decade is usually my answer to this question. My grandparents were married in 1942, and I always love looking at photos of them from that period. At first, it was because they both looked like movie stars during that time. As I grew older, I became more appreciative of what they went through during that decade. Their resiliency fascinated me.

They always said that they were not really the Greatest Generation. They said that they simply did what any human would do when faced with such adversity. I once asked my grandmother how she survived every day, not knowing if my grandfather was alive or dead. She said she just put one foot in front of the other every day, and did what she had to do to get through. Those words helped me during the worst days of the pandemic. And yet they frustrated me, knowing how so many of her generation bucked up and got the job done even in the face of unspeakable fear, shortages, and rationing. So many of my peers, especially in my town, showed that they were clearly incapable of working for the greater good. We've become very spoiled, very used to having things a certain way. The folks in the 40s had just been through the Depression. Collectively, they were not strangers to adversity. That resiliency is what fascinates me now, because we no longer have it and we missed a chance to develop it.
Full Push-up Count: 5
Backpacking season, here I come!
LovingHimAlways
California King
California King

DoveGrey wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 am

They always said that they were not really the Greatest Generation. They said that they simply did what any human would do when faced with such adversity. I once asked my grandmother how she survived every day, not knowing if my grandfather was alive or dead. She said she just put one foot in front of the other every day, and did what she had to do to get through. Those words helped me during the worst days of the pandemic. And yet they frustrated me, knowing how so many of her generation bucked up and got the job done even in the face of unspeakable fear, shortages, and rationing. So many of my peers, especially in my town, showed that they were clearly incapable of working for the greater good. We've become very spoiled, very used to having things a certain way. The folks in the 40s had just been through the Depression. Collectively, they were not strangers to adversity. That resiliency is what fascinates me now, because we no longer have it and we missed a chance to develop it.
So much truth spoken here.
LHK
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by LHK »

SongOfAngels wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:41 pm '70's. I have no good memories from my childhood but i love 70's Sci Fi TV shows (Logan's Run, Blakes 7, The Starlost, Space 1999, Buck Rogers, Star Trek, The Fantastic Journey, original BG, UFO, Sapphire and Steel, etc.) everything my husband scoffs at.
If you watched Star Trek in the 70's, as I did, you watched it in reruns. You'd have to go back to the late 60's to see it in original airings.

I'm not sure I would go back given the opportunity. Seems to me that very few of the "good old days" were as good as we remember or as the history books make them out to be. If I had to choose, I think Texas from the mid 1800's. I'd like to know if I could survive that time period.

LHK
Some say he knows two facts about ducks, and both of them are wrong.
MiddleMan
King bed
King bed

Post by MiddleMan »

One thing I like about this question as asked by the OP is it gives a time limit of one month. So those of you who want to go back for TV shows would only get to see 4 episodes probably. ;) While I think it would be interesting to go back to certain decades, I always keep in mind: Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions. Ecclesiastes 7:10
SongOfAngels
California King
California King

Post by SongOfAngels »

LHK wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:54 am
SongOfAngels wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:41 pm '70's. I have no good memories from my childhood but i love 70's Sci Fi TV shows (Logan's Run, Blakes 7, The Starlost, Space 1999, Buck Rogers, Star Trek, The Fantastic Journey, original BG, UFO, Sapphire and Steel, etc.) everything my husband scoffs at.
If you watched Star Trek in the 70's, as I did, you watched it in reruns. You'd have to go back to the late 60's to see it in original airings.

I'm not sure I would go back given the opportunity. Seems to me that very few of the "good old days" were as good as we remember or as the history books make them out to be. If I had to choose, I think Texas from the mid 1800's. I'd like to know if I could survive that time period.

LHK
SO TRUE, i'm one for never going back, i always look forward to Heaven as none of my childhood was good including the 70's but i was thinking that if i had to choose...
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

DoveGrey wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 am I have been fascinated by the 1940s since I was small, so that decade is usually my answer to this question. … Their resiliency fascinated me.

They always said that they were not really the Greatest Generation. They said that they simply did what any human would do when faced with such adversity. I once asked my grandmother how she survived every day, not knowing if my grandfather was alive or dead. She said she just put one foot in front of the other every day, and did what she had to do to get through.

…knowing how so many of her generation bucked up and got the job done even in the face of unspeakable fear, shortages, and rationing. So many of my peers, especially in my town, showed that they were clearly incapable of working for the greater good. We've become very spoiled, very used to having things a certain way. The folks in the 40s had just been through the Depression. Collectively, they were not strangers to adversity. That resiliency is what fascinates me now, because we no longer have it and we missed a chance to develop it.
So true DG.

I love 40’s music. Always listening to the 40’s Junction on Sirius XM and my favorite TV to watch growing up was Abbott & Costello.
DoveGrey
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by DoveGrey »

newwifenewlife wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:37 pm
I love 40’s music. Always listening to the 40’s Junction on Sirius XM and my favorite TV to watch growing up was Abbott & Costello.
A little "Moonlight Serenade" goes a long way....
DoveGrey
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by DoveGrey »

MiddleMan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:11 am While I think it would be interesting to go back to certain decades, I always keep in mind: Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions. Ecclesiastes 7:10
Goodness, my eyes were opened on that one last year. I posed the time travel question in my Zoom class early on as we were all still getting to know each other. We had the usual responses. The girl who was reading the Little House books said the 1800s. The kids who were fascinated with military history said the Civil War, WWI, etc. I myself said the 1940s.

And then one child - these were largely ten year olds - said that she wouldn't want to go back in time. She said that she has to deal with too much racism as it is, and she knows it was worse in the past. I was glad she felt safe enough to share her feelings. It made a lot of us, including myself, ponder those words. I've seen what she spoke of, and I've seen it directed at kids in both blatant and subtle ways, by people who may not even have been aware they were doing it. And yet, as a mostly white woman whose ancestors suffered horribly through the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Depression, it's easy for me to forget that our past was much worse for many segments of society. And that many of us still live in different worlds, even in the same town.

We can't change our past, and I've not met a single person who wants us to or even blames us for it. It's the past, after all. But we can improve the future. And so, in reality (but I was too hesitant to share it before), my decade of choice is this current one. Because no child should have to be in that sweet little girl's position, and that's something I can do something about.
Oldbear
Hammock
Hammock

Post by Oldbear »

Most interesting to note now many would go back to the 60s or 70s. Those were tough years. The war in Viet Nam, rampant drug experimentation, assassinations, the Cold War, etc. The 50s were idyllic - lots of hope and optimism after WW2.

Return to “Question of the Day”