Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

06/02/2021 - Favorite Movie/TV Scenes?

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.

FIRST POST IN THREAD

SLS
California King
California King

06/02/2021 - Favorite Movie/TV Scenes?

Post by SLS »

What are the scenes in movies/TV that really get you? Scenes that you just enjoy watching over and over again?

Here are 3 faves off the top of my head.

1. Avengers Endgame: The Portal Scene. DW and I were equal parts cheering and crying at this scene. All the emotions of 11 years worth of Marvel movies wrapped up in a perfect package. "Avengers.....assemble!"

2. Stargate SG-1: The Battle of Antarctica. SG-1 is desperately trying to find weapons of the Ancients to defend Earth against the imminent attack of the Goa'uld System Lord Anubis. They manage to find the location under the ice of Antarctica but Anubis is on to them. As a fleet of enemy ships looms large behind them it seems the jig is up. But at the last second Earth's fleet of F-302s and the BC-303 Prometheus show up to cover them.

Like number one above this scene is the culmination of 7 years of the team searching the galaxy and slowly obtaining various alien technologies to defend Earth. The best battle of the Stargate franchise.

3. Battlestar Galactica: Battle of New Caprica/Pegasus to the rescue. I'm not the biggest fan of the series as a whole but BSG had some great ships and awesome space battles. I'm also a sucker for last second rescues. The pull-back of the camera at 1:00 as we see Galactica getting pounded from all sides by Cylon Baseships, the somber music that eventually cuts out, and finally the musical crescendo as the Pegasus shows up guns blazing was just a great piece of cinematography.
Last edited by Link+Zelda on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made sticky and OP will stay at top of each page.
Happily married to Serafina for 7 years. She is my Venus. ::luv2

END FIRST POST

hastentheday
King bed
King bed

Re: 06/02/2021 - Favorite Movie/TV Scenes?

Post by hastentheday »

Mine is a movie. "Bohemian Rhapsody." It's not my favorite movie but one of the scenes in the movie is a favorite. I am not a Queen fan at all although after watching their 20 minute live set performance as depicted in this movie at Wembley stadium to raise money for the famine stricken Africans, I could see myself easily becoming one. I've watched this part of the movie which is at the end over and over and over. The talent of the musicians, the interaction with the crowd, the passion of everyone is just awesome and all for a good cause back in 1985.
Last edited by hastentheday on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

Great question.

Here are three scenes that stick in my head.

1) The scene at the end of 'Star Wars' when the Millenium Falcon destroys the tie fighter next to Darth Vader's ship, causing him to miss Luke, which allows Luke to destroy the Death Star. I knew Han would not just run away with his reward!

2) The Balrog fight sequence in 'Fellowship of the Ring'. Although jumping across broken stairs was not in the book, it was a brilliant addition to the movie. Gandalf facing down the Balrog was great, and I cry every time I see him pulled over the chasm. The music in that part of the scene is really awesome, as it is in the whole movie.

3) I end with my favorite scene. Actually, not just one scene, but the entire last hour and a half or so of 'The Return of the King; starting with the ride of the Rohirrim as they come to the aid of Minas Tirith. I am usually in tears during the rest of the movie; the killing of the Lord of the Nazgul by Eowyn, the death of Theoden, the part where Gandalf is comforting Pippen that 'death is not the end', Aragorn leading the charge into the hosts of Mordor with the words 'For Frodo', Sam picking up Frodo to help him complete the quest ("...I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you..." the music in that scene is AWESOME!!!!), Frodo waking up on the Field of Cormallen, and finally, Frodo's departure from Middle Earth at the Grey Havens'....This is probably my favoriate all-time movie and my eyes are watering now as I write this!
Graypoet
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Graypoet »

It’s an old movie, but the motorcycle portion of the Great Escape is worth watching. Steve McQueen did all of the motorcycle riding in this movie. And since I mentioned McQueen, let’s not forget the chase scene from Bullitt.
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 3 John 2
LuckyInLove
King bed
King bed

Post by LuckyInLove »

The only scenes I want to watch on repeat are ones that crack me up. Some of my faves:

1. The last scene of Ferris Buehler where the principal rides the school bus. The music makes the scene.

2. On Playing House when the main characters switch into their roles of Bosephus and Jandana to get into a Kenny Loggins concert as roadies.

3. So many from Everybody Loves Raymond: Raymond taking photos of Robert being a male model; Deborah defending her in-laws when the retirement community kicks them out; Robert being a ventriloquist for driving school with the family.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

1) The scene in The Greatest Showman where they sing "From Now On". I usually watch that two or three times every time I watch that movie, which is a favorite to put on to listen to as I am doing something else.

2) The final kiss scene in Never Been Kissed. There's just something about the silence and disappointment of the crowd and how he comes running in, and the way he goes directly in for the kiss. ::luv
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Deleted User 2031

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

My favorite movie is "Tombstone," and every Doc Holliday scene is my favorite!
Claymore
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Claymore »

SLS wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 pm 3. Battlestar Galactica: Battle of New Caprica/Pegasus to the rescue. I'm not the biggest fan of the series as a whole but BSG had some great ships and awesome space battles. I'm also a sucker for last second rescues. The pull-back of the camera at 1:00 as we see Galactica getting pounded from all sides by Cylon Baseships, the somber music that eventually cuts out, and finally the musical crescendo as the Pegasus shows up guns blazing was just a great piece of cinematography.
Beat me to it. BSG had a lot of sinful material, but I overlooked it because it was such a dramatic show. I've moved on, but when this episode aired live I was wide-eyed as Galactica slowly shrank into the distance, wondering if this really was the end of the line.

Here are a few other favorites.

Favorite entrance - live action: Iron Man's entrance in Stuttgart in Avengers. Floored me when I saw it in the theater.

Favorite entrance - animated: Megamind - PRESENTATION. The best entrances all seem to involve heavy metal.

Best beatdown set to gospel music: Babylon 5. Is that wrong?

And finally, the climactic battle in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Loads of Shakespeare delivered perfectly by Christopher Plummer, and probably the most dramatic instance of "FIRE" uttered by William Shatner in 30 years of playing Captain Kirk.

It's long, but I'm having fun. :D
Irnmyk
California King
California King

Post by Irnmyk »

I think, because I have spent my life trying to escape my alcoholic hell hole childhood which was immediately followed by a very restrictive and confining military experience, that I understand why all my favorite movies are escape movies:

The Great Escape being an early one in my life. I had read the book while still in High School (among several like it), and thought the movie to be pretty representative (other than the splashy motorcycle type scenes - although I enjoyed them) of what went down.

Then came along "Cool Hand Luke", "Papillion", "Shawshank Redemption", and the like.

"The Longest Yard" wasn't about escape, but it was about confinement and escapism, so it counts there too.

I think one of my favorite scenes is Steve McQueen in "Papillion" on the raft he had made as he floated away shouting "I'm still here you (and I quote) ###".

Half my daily vocabulary are quips from "Cool Hand Luke". There are so many good lines in that movie. It's sad to realize that most of the people around me, being about 1/3 of my age, have no idea what those "lines" harken back to. "What we have here is failure to communicate."
SLS
California King
California King

Post by SLS »

Olorin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 am1) The scene at the end of 'Star Wars' when the Millenium Falcon destroys the tie fighter next to Darth Vader's ship, causing him to miss Luke, which allows Luke to destroy the Death Star. I knew Han would not just run away with his reward!
Yes! ::clap ::clap ::clap A classic. "You're all clear kid now lets blow this thing and go home!"
3) I end with my favorite scene. Actually, not just one scene, but the entire last hour and a half or so of 'The Return of the King
Pure awesomeness. I love the moment after Aragorn starts the charge when the first two to join him are Merry and Pippen. Such a great score too.
Claymore wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:21 amFavorite entrance - live action: Iron Man's entrance in Stuttgart in Avengers. Floored me when I saw it in the theater.
Oh yeah. Blasting AC/DC to blasting Loki with a repulser. Perfect expression of Iron Man's character. "Make your move reindeer games"
Best beatdown set to gospel music: Babylon 5. Is that wrong?
Well Lord Refa certainly deserved it. I think my favorite B5 moment is either Sheridan nuking Z'ha'dum or Delenn's "If you value your lives..." speech.
And finally, the climactic battle in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Loads of Shakespeare delivered perfectly by Christopher Plummer, and probably the most dramatic instance of "FIRE" uttered by William Shatner in 30 years of playing Captain Kirk.
Your fellow Trekkie approves :!: :!: :!:
Happily married to Serafina for 7 years. She is my Venus. ::luv2

Return to “Question of the Day”