Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

This is THE PLACE to discuss if something sexual is right or wrong.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
firefly
Double
Double
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am
Location: South
Contact:

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by firefly »

Good discussions. Often, we Christians have to realize that God did things in the old testament for His purpose, man's purpose, Israel's purpose. The old testament is clearly our example in many areas, but as said before, Christ fulfilled the law. We do have liberty and freedom, but not beyond God's natural laws. I often get into discussions with very well meaning Christians who try to minimize God's holiness, righteousness and call it "liberty". Peter seeing the sheet full of unclean animals, says, oh no, can't eat those Lord. Then the Lord corrected him. I have often heard well meaning pastors/preachers imply something is sinful, when the Lord never said it was sinful. But we have to be careful that we don't call good -bad and bad-good. I have had many discussions with my DW on what God says is sinful verses what is simply unwise. Drinking wine is not sinful, but indulgence beyond sober thinking is. As soon as I saw Lev 18, I thought, here we go. ::praise
MrMarried
California King
California King
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by MrMarried »

firefly wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:58 am Good discussions. Often, we Christians have to realize that God did things in the old testament for His purpose, man's purpose, Israel's purpose. The old testament is clearly our example in many areas, but as said before, Christ fulfilled the law. We do have liberty and freedom, but not beyond God's natural laws. I often get into discussions with very well meaning Christians who try to minimize God's holiness, righteousness and call it "liberty". Peter seeing the sheet full of unclean animals, says, oh no, can't eat those Lord. Then the Lord corrected him. I have often heard well meaning pastors/preachers imply something is sinful, when the Lord never said it was sinful. But we have to be careful that we don't call good -bad and bad-good. I have had many discussions with my DW on what God says is sinful verses what is simply unwise. Drinking wine is not sinful, but indulgence beyond sober thinking is. As soon as I saw Lev 18, I thought, here we go. ::praise
In the case of Peter, this symbolized God justifying Gentiles who the Shammai Pharisee religious authorities of his day probably would have considered unclean, and his thinking was probably influenced by that. I do not think he had to throw some snake and ham on his shawarma for dinner that evening.
MrMarried
California King
California King
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period

Post by MrMarried »

David wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:16 am @MrMarried, I think everything you've said is true, but it's not a very clear answer to my question.

I don't think I have ever read a book, heard a sermon, or been involved in a conversation where it has been said that having sex during a woman's menstrual period is sinful for Christians.
In fact, the majority view seems to be that it is *not* sinful, suggesting that the prohibition in Leviticus 18 does not apply.

The reformers argued that the law could broadly be divided into 3: moral law, ceremonial law and civil law.
Ceremonial law only applied for a time, because it related to the priests and sacrifices and was ultimately fulfilled in Christ's perfect sacrifice on the cross. Civil Law only applied to the nation of Israel, and is therefore no longer binding. Moral law is still binding on us today.
The question is, which of the categories does this prohibition fit into? I think (and I could be wrong) that it's principally ceremonial with an element of good hygiene. If that's the case, then it is no longer binding upon Christians today.
I don't think it matters that much for our daily lives what three categories theologians who lived centuries ago put these laws into. What matters is that we obey the word of God and what God spoke through His Spirit.
MrMarried
California King
California King
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by MrMarried »

David wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:52 am Verses 1-3 of Leviticus 18 make it clear that Israel is set apart. They are not to do as they do in Egypt (where Israel had come from) or as they do in Canaan (where Israel was going).

This implies that having sex during a woman's period is something that was done in one or both of those cultures. It seems likely that there was some kind of pagan ritual involved, in which case it makes sense that it would have been a rule for Israel, but is not binding on Christians today.
LGBT apologists make a similar argument. They make a similar assertion and then argue that Leviticus 18 only forbids sexual activity between two men if it was related to a cultic pagan ceremony. But that is not what the passage says. A few of the practices in the passage are religious. But there is a long list of sexual passages.

One thing forbidden was a man lying with his father's wife. Paul corrected the Corinthians for not judging a man among them who 'had his father's wife.' It could have been that his father had died. Do you think a man marrying his father's widow is acceptable? What about marrying and sleeping with one's sister, uncle's wife, what about adultery, sex with animals? How about the more ritualistic stuff like causing one's child to pass through the fire. Is there any other activity in the passage that is appropriate for Christians to do in your opinion besides sex during menstruation?

Again, my thinking here is that James refers to the Old Testament to justify the argument that Gentiles would be circumcised. His reference to abstaining from blood would bring to mind the fact that in the passage in which we read God made a covenant with Noah we see that He gave Noah meat but not blood to it. We can understand 'fornication' from this perspective also, seeing what types of sexual activities Gentiles engaged in that were sexually immoral, 'whoring', etc. One of those was sex during menstruation.

How likely was it that the incest practices were only practiced during pagan rituals? And if that were the case, would it be okay for a Christian to marry his sister or widowed mother as long as he does not do so during an idol-worshipping ceremony?


Remember that in the Old Testament, blood symbolised life. Speculating a bit, having sex during a woman's period might therefore have some symbolic meaning relating to life.
Last edited by PaulB on Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed extra tag
David
California King
California King
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by David »

You say that it doesn't matter to our daily lives which categories theologians who lived about 500 years ago put these laws into, but actually it does matter.
Those theologians were trying to make sense of the scriptures and how we should live in submission to them as Christians. They literally founded reformed Christian theology. If you're a Presbyterian, Anglican, Baptist or Methodist then your denomination finds its origins in what they thought. If you're a Roman Catholic, then your denomination and its theology is what they were rejecting.

Your entire argument is that it matters because you think that they were wrong, and that something which many (possibly even most) modern Christians think is perfectly acceptable is in fact sinful.
LuckyInLove
California King
California King
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by LuckyInLove »

Is it then sinful to touch your wife non-sexually, sleep in the same bed with her, or sit where she has sat while she’s on her period? Must one wait the full 7 days to have intercourse again? What if you are having sex with her and her period starts unexpectedly?
ThatGuy
Single
Single
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:37 pm

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by ThatGuy »

Acts 15 is an appropriate passage.

Acts 15:10-11
Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

John 15:12, 15
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you... No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

Romans 13:8-9
Fulfilling the Law Through Love
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Christ is our covenant keeper, and while we ought to work out our salvation with fear and trembling as God works in us, we don’t see the law the same way that the Old Testament Isaelites did. Love one another. We also know that what does not proceeed from faith is sin. If you act with a clear conscience, and if you act in love, you are free. We don’t need to become Jews and go back to the yoke that Israel could never keep. Note how Peter says “ But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.” He doesn’t say it the other way around, that Gentiles will be saved just as Jews are saved, but that Jews are saved just as Gentiles are saved.
MrMarried
California King
California King
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Sexual activity during her period, is it wrong?

Post by MrMarried »

ThatGuy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm Acts 15 is an appropriate passage.

Acts 15:10-11
Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

The passage continues to show that the apostles and elders wrote a letter to express what they perceived the Spirit saying to them.

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

So the question is, how do we understand what 'fornication' is? What is porneia? What is whoring around? James' argument about the Gentiles drew from the Old Testament, pointing to a passage about God's name being called on upon Gentiles. Should we also look at the Old Testament to understand the theological background of what constitutes sexual immorality/ fornication?

ThatGuy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm Christ is our covenant keeper, and while we ought to work out our salvation with fear and trembling as God works in us, we don’t see the law the same way that the Old Testament Isaelites did. Love one another. We also know that what does not proceeed from faith is sin. If you act with a clear conscience, and if you act in love, you are free. We don’t need to become Jews and go back to the yoke that Israel could never keep. Note how Peter says “ But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.” He doesn’t say it the other way around, that Gentiles will be saved just as Jews are saved, but that Jews are saved just as Gentiles are saved.
Keeping a clean conscience is part of it. Paul even wrote that if he had a clean conscience, that did not mean that he was guiltless. Keeping a clean conscience is important to honor God, but if someone could still sin and their conscience not bother them. That would probably be the case with those who consciences are seared as with a hot iron. The clean conscience is important in cases that would not otherwise be sin.

If someone thinks it is okay to commit adultery or to sleep with his girlfriend outside of marriage because, 'We love each other'--- and there are such people-- that does not mean that there is no sin involved.
Last edited by PaulB on Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
Post Reply

Return to “Okay, Bad Idea, or Sin?”