Why won’t he get a vasectomy?

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
MiddleMan
King bed
King bed

Re: Why won’t he get a vasectomy?

Post by MiddleMan »

A vasectomy is no big deal. It's an in-an-out (ha ha!) surgery with just a local anesthetic. When DW and I went to for our consultation, the doctor said, "If he was Rambo in bed before, he will still be Rambo after." :shock: We were rather shocked at his "earthiness"! But it's true, it didn't change anything at all, except no more worried about pregnancy. Watch the Home Improvement episode where Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor gets one.
Single
Single

Post by 90 »

Some men have chronic pain after a vasectomy. The incidence of this is about 2-5%. This is probably the primary reason I changed my mind about getting one. I use lambskin condoms.

I don't know why your husband did not get one, but a man deciding not to have a vasectomy is not stupid or selfish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-vase ... n_syndrome
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

AwakenedLady wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:56 am The real issue as I see it isn't whether he is willing to get a vasectomy but rather that he has said he is willing but hasn't followed through.
That...and "why" he hasn't followed through.
I think it would be more than reasonable to ask for a timetable for when you can expect that to be done. I would decide how long you are willing to wait before you look into alternative ways to deal with this issue for your own peace of mind.
This is good. If I can't believe (or trust) you to follow through with "your word", then we have a marriage issue, not a vasectomy issue.

There have been a lot of good reasons stated. I've known quite a few who were scared of a potential "mishap" (a legit concern though unlikely), including myself.

I asked a question that was never answered and the OP author, for whatever reason, is no longer here. "Do you trust your husband?" Let me add one other potential reason, which I'll say is probably not the case in most situations but it has potential in a few situations. In the case of what is probably a very small handful of wives this is a reasonable question and goes to the "why". My wife was one of the small handful of women who can't trust their husband. My DW's first husband kept putting getting a snipped off for over two years, despite her significant health issues from the BC she was on. In her case, he had all the signs of an affair (and was) but she didn't look at the totality of his behavior (including past history of multiple affairs). Hindsight showed that he was involved with someone for those two years of procrastination and he would've had to tell his mistress that he was still married and that's why he needed to get a snipped...for his wife's health sake. The "why" is important. Again, I'm not saying it was the case here but in a small percentage of cases, if it's in the spouse's past, it should be considered because a V does remove one from commission and can potentially change the "grooming" south-of-the-border for awhile along with the visibility of recovering from stitches.
Mike smith
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Mike smith »

Any surgical procedure has a potential for adverse effects. There are always risks and rewards. From a clinical perspective those must be weighed and evaluated by the patient and others in potentially affected. Also, from a psychological perspective one must consider how the patient will be affected mentally. There are those who feel A vasectomy will adversely affect their masculinity.
The vast majority of vas patients have little or no negative outcome physically or psychologically, but the patient is not the majority or minority, they are just that individual patient who must decide what they feel is best for themself.

Return to “Birth Control”