Book/Podcast List

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
strawberryblonde
Queen bed
Queen bed

Book/Podcast List

Post by strawberryblonde »

Friends, do we have thread for annotated (or not) lists of suggested resources? It seems like I’ve seen such a thing, but I’m not sure how to search for this specific a title.

I’m looking for a good, basic book on improving communication in marriage (or in relationships in general,) something light, without too much technical language, just godly wisdom and how to apply it. And not my college interpersonal communications textbook. ::zz Maybe something with appropriate exercises.

…Sounds like I’m describing the book of Proverbs, but we’ve read that one hundreds of times. :)

Any suggestions? And thank you.
SeekingChange

Re: Book/Podcast List

Post by SeekingChange »

Ignore the title, because it's truly for any marriage that wants to improve things, but check out this book (also available in ebook)....it gives practical ways to improve communication, including conflict resolution. It will walk you through step by step.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Bonnie+clyde
Double
Double

Post by Bonnie+clyde »

"Emotionally Healthy Relationships" has benefited us greatly in this area!

It has practical skills for listening and responding to one another incarnationally. It is an 8 week course with a skill for each week. (It works great as a series of "at home date nights!")

https://www.emotionallyhealthy.org/prod ... ants-pack/

Here is chapter one of the Emotionally Healthy Relationships Course as a free preview, so you can get a feel for it:
https://vimeo.com/231535025?ref=em-share
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

- THE NAKED MARRIAGE by Dave & Ashley Willis and their podcast by the same title. The Willis' book has questions to ask. The book and their podcast is more on marriage relationships.

- NAKED MARRIAGE by Corey Allan and his podcast, SEXY MARRIAGE RADIO. His book is on the myths/truths of marriage and relationships. The podcast is definitely on sex/sexuality and the physical, emotional and relational elements around it along with many questions and topics you'll not here in church. I've been challenged on many occasions to address myself and what's funny was last year, this podcast and his book helped me address some things so much so that my wife "complained" to me unsolicited, "I don't know what's gotten into you but something happened and I'm feeling some pressure to change/grow". ::rofl ::praise

As far as relationships and emotional health, pretty much anything by Henry Cloud is worth reading. Also, books by the Parrotts, Gary Thomas and either of the Smalley's are worth reading. I'm not at home or office and won't be for another two weeks, otherwise, I could be more specific for titles and more authors.
strawberryblonde
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by strawberryblonde »

Thank you all! I have a good start here. 🙂
Pray for us. Our cement is pretty hard.
mwpastor
Single
Single

Post by mwpastor »

I've really liked https://www.foreplayrst.com/ over the last couple of years. They talk a lot about pursuer/withdrawer dynamics but not just about sex, but how pursuer/withdrawer dynamics play out around emotional connection, etc. I think they do a really good job of helping to understand the challenges present on each side of whatever difficulty you are facing, and give good advice on how to have hard conversations in a way that doesn't just set in motion all the old fights and responses.

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Blogs, Sites”