Top 5 Books

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
TheAccountant
Queen bed
Queen bed

Top 5 Books

Post by TheAccountant »

Hey, since I don't know if much book discussion has happened in a while, so I'm starting it back!

What are your Top 5 books regarding marriage, sex, intimacy, or other Christian books?

It can be top 5 in each category, all together, or heck feel free to list as many as you want. As well as any personal reading lists or others good lists you have found online.

So far I have:

Sheet Music (started, never finished)
Sacred Marriage (bought on clearance, never read)
5 Love Languages. Been a while, but have read.

I'm probably missing a few others, but anyway....😃
Last edited by TheAccountant on Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeekingChange

Re: Top 5 Books

Post by SeekingChange »

Books that were helpful for my marriage (not in any specific order):

1. Love and Respect

2. For Men Only

3. For Women Only

4. Through a Man's Eye's

5. I Don't Want a Divorce: a 90 Day Guide to Saving Your Marriage (I said no specific order, but this book was a complete marriage changer for us, so this would be my #1 book.)

Other Christian books that made a big impact on me:

1. Captivating - this book was actually the precursor to wanting things to change in my marriage, it helped prepare my heart and lead me to that road.

2. Equipped to Love - which has been revised, which I haven't read, and is now titled Live to Love.

3. Burnout: Renewal in the Wilderness

4. Irresistible

5. And then I have had multiple Kay Arthur and Beth Moore Bible studies that have made big impacts and lasting changes in me.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

TheAccountant wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:59 am Scared Marriage (bought on clearance, never read)
Is it truly Scared Marriage, or was it a typo and it's Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
TheAccountant
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by TheAccountant »

Dang it. Sorry fixed it! Autocorrect has the best of me tonight.
hastentheday
King bed
King bed

Post by hastentheday »

I only have two Christian books that I am recommending at this time but they helped shape our marriage and I highly recommend the deep reading:

"Bold Love" by Daniel Allender
"Boundaries in Marriage" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
GodCenteredMarriage
Single
Single

Post by GodCenteredMarriage »

SeekingChange wrote:Books that were helpful for my marriage (not in any specific order):

1. Love and Respect

2. For Men Only

3. For Women Only

4. Through a Man's Eye's

5. I Don't Want a Divorce: a 90 Day Guide to Saving Your Marriage (I said no specific order, but this book was a complete marriage changer for us, so this would be my #1 book.)

1. Captivating - this book was actually the precursor to wanting things to change in my marriage, it helped prepare my heart and lead me to that road.

2. Equipped to Love - which has been revised, which I haven't read, and is now titled Live to Love.

3. Burnout: Renewal in the Wilderness

4. Irresistible

5. And then I have had multiple Kay Arthur and Beth Moore Bible studies that have made big impacts and lasting changes in me.
What was the author of Irresistible and some of the others? I was able to find the authors for men only, for women only, and through a man's eyes. But if you could list them this way it makes it easier for others. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

mwpastor
Double
Double

Post by mwpastor »

I probably only have 2 that I would say were really helpful.

1. Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. It was the first book that taught me about how the best means of fixing my marriage was growing myself.
2. The Great Sex Rescue By: Sheila Wray Gregoire, Rebecca Gregoire Lindenbach, Joanna Sawatsky. I know there is some sort of ban from discussing it, but hopefully it's ok to at least recommend it. It really helped us open up some conversations about things that we were bumping up against. We had made quite a bit of progress, but the ideas here, really propelled us forward, and gave us a newfound freedom.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

mwpastor wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:04 pm I know there is some sort of ban from discussing it, but hopefully it's ok to at least recommend it. It really helped us open up some conversations about things that we were bumping up against. We had made quite a bit of progress, but the ideas here, really propelled us forward, and gave us a newfound freedom.
If you ever desire, the concepts and ideas are fine to be discussed, which can be done without making it about a certain book or author.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

GodCenteredMarriage wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm What was the author of Irresistible and some of the others?
I added the authors.
SeekingChange wrote:Books that were helpful for my marriage (not in any specific order):

1. Love and Respect, by Dr. Emerson Eggrichs

2. For Men Only, by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn

3. For Women Only, by Shaunti Feldhahn

4. Through a Man's Eye's, by Shaunti Feldhahn

5. I Don't Want a Divorce: a 90 Day Guide to Saving Your Marriage, by Dr. David Clarke (I said no specific order, but this book was a complete marriage changer for us, so this would be my #1 book.)

1. Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge- this book was actually the precursor to wanting things to change in my marriage, it helped prepare my heart and lead me to that road.

2. Equipped to Love - which has been revised, which I haven't read, and is now titled Live to Love, by Norm Wakefield

3. Burnout: Renewal in the Wilderness, by R. Loren Sandford

4. Irresistible, by Andy Stanley

Deleted User 2085

Post by Deleted User 2085 »

My best-man, as part of his gift to us, gave us a first addition copy of THE JOY OF SEX.
This was before they started inserting advice about adulterous and homosexual activities. It seemed focus on devoted, monogamous, heterosexual relationships. We both enjoyed placing into action the various suggestions.

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Blogs, Sites”