How do you define lust?

What is lust? What isn't? How can I guard myself...
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
mywifesman
Queen bed
Queen bed

Re: How do you define lust?

Post by mywifesman »

Paradox wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:50 pm
Mike smith wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:39 pm mymifesman,
Anger seldom wins and arguments are seldom won. Reasoned discussion MIGHT get somewhere.
NIcely put. Very nice.
Note that the context of this thread is all about lust as defined by Scripture - and so, the issue over whether that's even important or just a matter of personal opinion and preference is very relevant. I'm sorry if you think my response is anger-driven or a personal attack - if so, you have greatly misunderstood me. But I do care very greatly about truth related to God and His word. And thus, I merely find it very troubling whenever people that identify as Christians don't view God's word as reliable, understandable, or relevant today (per modern culture, etc), as believers struggle to apply it to our lives. Which is why, if you look back through my response, it's an appeal to logic and reason. As HOW we view God - His power, love, and characteristics has everything to do with whether we think He has and can protect His words to man, while conveying them in a way we can understand and apply them. And that doesn't mean there aren't mysteries in it. But God's moral directives were given out of His great love for us. Either what God's apostle wrote in 2 Timothy 3: 16-17 is true or not: "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." And you can read the previous verses in that chapter for context. These are not MY contentions, but what God's word asserts - and one can accept or reject them - as it's either reliable truth or not. But "IF" God is as Scripture reveals Him to be, the idea that He left us with a Bible full of myths, distortions, outright lies, perhaps all indecipherably blended with SOME remnants of His original truth and messages - well, that's an illogical, highly problematic, even dangerous, view.
Paradox
California King
California King

Post by Paradox »

mywifesman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:49 am
Anger seldom wins and arguments are seldom won. Reasoned discussion MIGHT get somewhere.
NIcely put. Very nice.
Note that the context of this thread is all about lust as defined by Scripture
But you seem to deny the existence of the God of the Bible, who Christians view as an intelligent, kind, loving God, looking to many anti-theistic "scholars." You are taking the views of the post-WW-2, which concluded that God is dead or a divine bully.
mywifesman
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by mywifesman »

Paradox wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:33 pm
mywifesman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:49 am
NIcely put. Very nice.
Note that the context of this thread is all about lust as defined by Scripture
But you seem to deny the existence of the God of the Bible, who Christians view as an intelligent, kind, loving God, looking to many anti-theistic "scholars." You are taking the views of the post-WW-2, which concluded that God is dead or a divine bully.
Where the heck did you get that analysis from - certainly not from what I wrote! God is loving, kind, and intelligent beyond all we can even imagine. A bully???!!! He's exactly the opposite, as He is patient, merciful, and forgiving beyond any human definition of it! But God is also JUST - and He expects us to do our best to obey Him. And He is Who and WHAT He is (which NEVER changes!). We don't get to define HIM, as He's redundantly revealed Himself through His many prophets and apostles across His Word. And He has LOVINGLY put forth many moral teachings to guide us along our journey. He knows we're gonna mess up, but is quick to forgive us. But, when I see people assert that His communications to us either aren't reliable, have been distorted, blended with myths and lies, or aren't understandable - or that they were all written mostly for an ancient culture and simply antiquated, not meant for us today to take seriously (particularly, the New Testament!) - well, that's simply not what the Bible teaches. And scholarship has redundantly confirmed all of these things. So, you can believe or cherrypick whatever you might want to believe God has communicated to us - or not. Yes, many of the Bible's OT laws were mostly for ancient Israel and not for Christians (we are living post-Law / Resurrection / New Covenant). But much of the New Testament teachings both echo and prolifically quote the Old Testament, and Jesus confirmed it (in its ENTIRETY) as being God's inspired Scriptures. Look, I'm no legalist - I'm no better than anyone! Really, I'm just another flawed human being. But I am logical enough to know that God, as He has revealed Himself, HAS communicated to us very clearly and intentionally His expectations as to how we are to morally conduct ourselves - and people can be dismissive and not believe this if they choose to - I'm not anyone's judge - only God is.

Anyway, I realize this isn't really the thread for this topic - but as it came up, I thought it was important.

BTW, as for people who DO think the Bible, as written, reveals a God who is a "divine bully" (your words), I would highly suggest you get the eye-opening book, by Bible scholar Dr. Paul Copan, "Is God a Moral Monster?" It examines about every false accusation and misconception I've ever seen asserted about God and the Bible.
Bethany93
Single
Single

Post by Bethany93 »

I believe lust, in the biblical sense, is a desire to commit unlawful sexual acts with someone.

Where it gets sticky is the Law doesnt mention sexual activity outside of intercourse. Wont get into it deep here, but you can imagine where things can get borderline and justified, etc.. Its lust if i want my friend to have intercourse with me. Is it lust to want him to rub my back? Hard to say. But then you cross from lust to sensuality, which is much more subjective. Giving a friend a lap dance i think wed all agree is sensual, though not violating the Law.

I dont think its lust to desire something acceptable. As a common example, before we were married, i wanted to have sex with my husband really bad once we were married. I see that as a lawful sexual desire. As a less common example, since the bible never condemns polygamy in any way, we play with the idea of my husband marrying other (made up) women. A desire to marry and subsequently have sex with another wife is not unlawful, so i dont think its "lust."

Anyway, i feel like a whole book could be written here, but theres 2 cents
Call Me Crazy, But I Think Sex Is Supposed To Be FUN!

Return to “Lust & Immodesty”