How do you define lust?

What is lust? What isn't? How can I guard myself...
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Irnmyk
On the floor
On the floor
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: How do you define lust?

Post by Irnmyk »

SeekingChange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm
Irnmyk wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:07 pm
SeekingChange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:36 pm
I don't believe any sexual thought of another equals lust, but if another is intentionally thinking sexual thoughts of another, and dwelling on them, and then justifying it because "I have no plans to act on them and actually have sex with this person, therefore I am not sinning by lusting." That is the thoughts and beliefs I disagree with.
@SC,

So, if some member, a female member in particular posts some story or anecdote about some sexual activity and I intentionally think about it and dwell on it and obviously having no ability to act on it, I'm lusting?
If you are dwelling on doing that activity [mentally], with that person whom is not your spouse, you would be lusting. [I don't feel it matters you would have no intention to physically act on that desire.]

[Edited to add some clarification.]
I don't see it. Since it is well established (within this thread) that the root of the word used for lust Biblically is the same as covet, as long as I am not coveting that person, but merely dwelling on whatever activity they revealed, then I'm not lusting because I'm not coveting anything. I may even be feeling the opposite, that I wouldn't even want to be involved with that, but dwelling on it nonetheless.

I think for lust to occur, something has to be coveted, not merely considered.
User avatar
SeekingChange
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6569
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 pm
Location: All I know is I'm not home yet

Re: How do you define lust?

Post by SeekingChange »

Irnmyk wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:37 pm
SeekingChange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm If you are dwelling on doing that activity [mentally], with that person whom is not your spouse, you would be lusting. [I don't feel it matters you would have no intention to physically act on that desire.]
I don't see it. <clip>

I think for lust to occur, something has to be coveted, not merely considered.
If someone, or you, read something here, or saw your attractive neighbor and you go into your private place, and fantasize that individual doing a sexual act with you, or you to/with them, with your penis in hand masturbating... no matter where your spouse of a covenant is, beside you or away. I am not convinced that is not a form of coveting, even if you have no active plan to actually physically "take them" from another. I will never believe that is holy and righteous act before God. I absolutely believe that is adultery in the heart. So it's a good thing no one will be standing before me on judgment day, nor will I be answering to anyone else.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Irnmyk
On the floor
On the floor
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Re: How do you define lust?

Post by Irnmyk »

SeekingChange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:47 pm
Irnmyk wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:37 pm
SeekingChange wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm If you are dwelling on doing that activity [mentally], with that person whom is not your spouse, you would be lusting. [I don't feel it matters you would have no intention to physically act on that desire.]
I don't see it. <clip>

I think for lust to occur, something has to be coveted, not merely considered.
If someone, or you, read something here, or saw your attractive neighbor and you go into your private place, and fantasize that individual doing a sexual act with you, or you to/with them, with your penis in hand masturbating... no matter where your spouse of a covenant is, beside you or away. I am not convinced that is not a form of coveting, even if you have no active plan to actually physically "take them" from another. I will never believe that is holy and righteous act before God. I absolutely believe that is adultery in the heart. So it's a good thing no one will be standing before me on judgment day, nor will I be answering to anyone else.
Well, we're on the same page there. I TOTALLY agree with that, but that's not what I was talking about at all, but didn't realize that you were. No problem here with that logic. To me, what you described is absolutely covetousness.
proverbs519man
King bed
King bed
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:51 am

Re: How do you define lust?

Post by proverbs519man »

I think the difference is. Are you saying you want the specific person, or just someone like that specific person.

I don't think your neighbor telling you, "wow my wife gave an excellent blowjob the other night" and you thinking that you would like a woman to give you an excellent blowjob is coveting. Now it might be bad for other reasons, but I would not call it coveting. I would only call it coveting if you thought, I would love his wife to give me a blowjob---even if you do not intend to actually kidnap his wife or whatever---I still think you are moving in that territory.

So that is the difference to me.

Now if a single man thinks abstractly about wanting a woman to give him a blowjob, that is dangerous because it could easily become some sort of lustful act with a fantasy woman of your invention.

Now if a single man thinks about marriage which includes raising kids, working hard, being committed to a single individual, and also happens to think...and she might give great blowjobs. I don't think that is lust. But it is an easy trap to fall into, so I wouldn't particularly recommend it.
Post Reply

Return to “Lust & Immodesty”