Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Live Chat/App

Rules, how-to’s, and FAQ. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
TheAccountant
Queen bed
Queen bed

Live Chat/App

Post by TheAccountant »

Has anyone thought about developing an App for this board or implementing a live chat/group chat feature? Seems like some good ideas to expand this board.
SeekingChange

Re: Live Chat/App

Post by SeekingChange »

Good question, and the answer is for the more higher-ups (aka the Admin.)

I am going to throw my personal opinion in here though.... I have been a part of different forums and from my experience with live chats via IM, it caused a LOT more issues and fostered a lot of sin, especially when it's around the topic of sex. Sin likes to thrive in secret and darkness, and one on one chats, where there is no accountability, seems to be a perfect breeding ground for that. Personally, I would not recommend it for the integrity of TMB, and the people who are a part of it.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

Building on what @SC said, I think it makes it difficult on women if there is a chat feature. And I suppose it isn't just women, but also men who very much aren't interested in more personal conversations with women. I could be wrong, but I suspect women would be more on the receiving end of unwelcome IM pop ups. (If you're reading this, random pervy lurker, I strongly suggest you don't try it with me, btw.)

As a guy friend told me recently, he feels safe with me because he knows what he's getting. There aren't any surprise physical contacts like hugs or arm touches from me. He can talk to his wife about me without feeling like he has to talk to his wife about me, if you see what I'm saying.

Having an IM or chat feature adds that element of surprise and lack of control on the receiver's part. It's an intrusion. It isn't always unwelcome, but it can be. Our current DM system allows us more control. If there's a DM I'm not in the mood to answer, I can leave it alone for the time being. I have control over it.

If we had a way to turn the feature off, or were able to specify who was able to IM us (wives only, for example), then I wouldn't be opposed to it. I might not use it, but I could see how others might. But the control over it would need to be there.
Wife of 22 years
2.6 lbs of 17.8 lost
Dale
Board Czar
Board Czar

Post by Dale »

Having an unmonitored chat feature is not a good idea on a forum like this, for the reasons SC outlined. It was talked about with what was then the Oversight Group several years ago and rejected as being too problematic.

Dale
Irnmyk
California King
California King

Post by Irnmyk »

Because I have live chat in my business world (business has more employees than this board has members), and have a feel for the good and bad of that, I can't see how having that would be a good thing here.
Link+Zelda

Post by Link+Zelda »

I agree with @SC, @DG, @Dale, and @Urn-Mic. The negatives for such a feature outweigh the positives, probably by a large margin.

To get a glimpse of what a chat-like feature can do to a community like TMB, check out this comment: viewtopic.php?p=42209#p42209. I'm sure some think that TMB wouldn't have that kind of stuff happen, but I absolutely disagree. Sites like this attract, and always will attract, people that can be considered "wolves in sheep's clothing". I can guarantee you that some people who frequent this site are not as they appear to be, and I don't need any special mod knowledge to say that (I knew that long before becoming a mod).

Personally, I'm concerned enough about the PM (aka DM) system we have here. I can only pray and hope that the authentic people here are wary of wolves and properly report any shenanigans they see in the unregulated realm of PMs. Honestly, even two well-meaning and authentic people can unintentionally end up going places they shouldn't without the accountability of the open forum.
-Link+Zelda
TheAccountant
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by TheAccountant »

Got it. Thanks everyone for the different thoughts around it. I guess I was thinking overall more like a group chat thing, but then again that's what this already is 😂. Love the people on here!
ng95901
Double
Double

Post by ng95901 »

As a former mod on several discussion boards, I can tell you that when active, live chatrooms were the bane of our existence. They are an open invitation for internet trolls, perverts and the like to hang out and cause problems. In online communities where you pretty much have to trust that people are who they say they are, they are never lead to productive discussions and they are a drain on mod and admin resources. On a forum like this, it would lead to many of the old culprits we dealt with in the old days taking up residence again. I am sure the new staff would like to avoid that at given how quiet it seems around here compared to the old days...

Return to “Rules, How To's and FAQ's”