TMB STUFF

Marriage affirming, romantic, and flirty T-shirts and mugs.

Learn more, or Get Stuff and save 10%

Honeymoon planning

Stuff that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Christopher980
Double
Double

Honeymoon planning

Post by Christopher980 »

So, something my GF and I have talked about at least on one occasion is the hope of us getting married and what exactly we'd do on our honeymoon. Now, while I think we will eventually have The Talk in regards to that and what expect, I just bounced some ideas on what we'd do and where we'd go. I wanted to possibly go to New York, see the sights; maybe meet extended family. She wanted to go to Disney World, which I'm hoping is still a thing by the time we marry. Lol

Is it odd to plan for a honeymoon this early?
Twue_Wuv
California King
California King

Re: Honeymoon planning

Post by Twue_Wuv »

Yes. IMO, you shouldn't plan a honeymoon until you are officially engaged.
Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
Dale
Board Czar
Board Czar

Post by Dale »

I wouldn't call it odd, as thinking and planning and dreaming ahead are all good things.

But, a lot of it also depends on how close you are to becoming engaged. If the engagement is still a long ways off, then there are probably other areas and issues to deal with first. It is easy to get hung up on the distant future when you should be concentrating on what's more close at hand. :D

Dale
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

I think it's great for a couple to share their dreams for the future, especially when many married couples stop dreaming together after they've accomplished their first major goal...to get married.

What I don't remember you sharing is when are you planning on getting married? How soon? Part of dating and engagement conversation is sharing one's dreams and future goals to confirm whether or not those are compatible or conflicting to the other partners dreams and goals. In other words, are you heading in the same direction spiritually, emotionally and relationally? So have the conversations and see if you can serve and encourage one another in Christ in their dreams. If you're talking about sex, and you're not engaged or potentially moving in that direction, that is ground to carefully tread with sexual specifics because sex is a powerful thing and as you read around here, and while it has a major impact on marital satisfaction, it's only a small part of a satisfying marriage; in other words, there are a lot more questions about life and love than honeymoon questions to be asked and answered before you should "tie the knot".

There are some great resources on the internet and books like 101 QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE YOU GET ENGAGED? (by Wright) that can help you pose some great questions for discussion. DW & I spent literally spent 8 months asking questions like those from that book and other ones I gathered from the internet and placed in a jar that we took on dates. We met online and lived in different areas so we had to make the most of things and time spent.
Last edited by newwifenewlife on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hastentheday
King bed
King bed

Post by hastentheday »

Twue_Wuv wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am Yes. IMO, you shouldn't plan a honeymoon until you are officially engaged.
I agree with @Twue_Wuv.
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

It is probably a good idea to determine if you and your gf would make good life partners prior to getting to deep into honeymoon destination planning.

DW and I went to an engaged couples retreat that included time to discuss issues like finances, careers, how children will be educated, etc. DW and I had discussed all of these things well before becoming engaged so these discussions were pretty 'boring'. However, I was shocked to learn that at the end of the retreat one of the couples decided NOT to get married based on what was discovered during these question sessions. Ideally, you don't want that to happen to you when you are that close to walking down the aisle. So, do look for resources to help you ask the right questions of each other before making the decision to marry.

On a light note, one question that may NOT be in any resource is who will be in charge of setting the thermostat. This is a bigger issue than you may realize, so do a search on this forum for 'thermostat wars' if you want to see what you may be in for if you neglect this important topic!
Irnmyk
California King
California King

Post by Irnmyk »

Olorin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:04 am
On a light note, one question that may NOT be in any resource is who will be in charge of setting the thermostat. This is a bigger issue than you may realize, so do a search on this forum for 'thermostat wars' if you want to see what you may be in for if you neglect this important topic!
Reading this post, got to laughing out loud so loud that DW came in here to check it out. I told her the gist of this thread, (including about the couple that decided NOT to marry) and then read her the paragraph above.....

Whereupon I then became the recipient of a lot of abuse (good natured, of course) about past thermostat wars, or her perception of her sense of victimhood therefrom.
Christopher980
Double
Double

Post by Christopher980 »

@newwifenewlife Due to health issues and not really having talked about it, neither of us have a specific date in mind for a wedding. Our plan at the moment is to first seek counsel from our pastors, which will help with stuff like @Olorin mentioned I believe.

Thanks ya'll.
David
California King
California King

Post by David »

I would at least get engaged first!
You don't mention how long you've been together, or how serious the relationship is, but I'd make a firm commitment to get married before actually planning the wedding, honeymoon etc.
Christopher980
Double
Double

Post by Christopher980 »

David wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:27 am I would at least get engaged first!
You don't mention how long you've been together, or how serious the relationship is, but I'd make a firm commitment to get married before actually planning the wedding, honeymoon etc.
We've been together almost a year now, we've known each-other for 5+ years. But yeah, I get it. It was really just kinda an off-handed question while talking with her over the phone.

Return to “Wedding Talk”