Spousal Businesses

Money, In-laws, and other things that drive you crazy.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be read by guests, but ARE NOT seen by search engines.
Katydid
Double
Double

Spousal Businesses

Post by Katydid »

What is your opinion on spouses being in business together?

As for me, 2/10, would not recommend. I think it is another avenue of resentment, another subject for arguments, and if you have any marriage issues, such as communication difficulties or lack of mutual respect, it's only going to be augmented working together.
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Re: Spousal Businesses

Post by newwifenewlife »

I think it can work well for emotionally healthy couples with good boundaries and certain temperaments...otherwise, I'd agree that it just exposes and amplifies the problems, lack of boundaries, and generally speaking, overall health in the marriage and the individuals involved most of the time. At the same time, I think there are some temperaments that would just not mesh well together OR completely thrive in certain business & conditions. I don't think DW & could do it, at least not in some types of businesses or areas we currently work in; we like our separation sometimes because we like our way of doing things and/or DW has sensory issues that I create issues between us when she gets overloaded with touch or certain sounds. (I've recently discovered that it runs in her family (dad and at least one brother, maybe one of her daughters.) :roll:

At the same time, I do know couples who have made it work well and it serves them and their family well. There are several in our church. I would add that one couple (DW & my best friends here and we serve together on the team) work in his two businesses together since she lost her job and they love it. She has no plans to go back to her former career. They communicate well and have opposite temperaments. Is it always easy? Nope. His wife isn't just a "firecracker" when mad, she is at least an M80 but she is a sanguine who loves a party! And she can get quite "hangry" so they both know what to watch for. :lol: No, but they seem to know how to navigate their temperaments, pet peeves, and enjoy each other's company, nearly 24/7 some weeks. They play well together inside and outside of self-employed work. I will add that there needs to be defined roles and these close friends seem to understand that well. Could my wife and I do that? Probably not.
Last edited by newwifenewlife on Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MiddleMan
Hammock
Hammock

Post by MiddleMan »

As NWNL says, if both are mature healthy adults it can work. It can certainly be a problem if one spouse thinks the other is not keeping up what the first one thinks should be done by the other.
MrMarried
On the floor
On the floor

Post by MrMarried »

Katydid wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:26 am What is your opinion on spouses being in business together?

As for me, 2/10, would not recommend. I think it is another avenue of resentment, another subject for arguments, and if you have any marriage issues, such as communication difficulties or lack of mutual respect, it's only going to be augmented working together.
It depends on the skills, talents, relationship dynamics, character, and personalities of the spouses involved, and the type of business.

There is the issue that you can't fire your wife her husband if he/she does a poor job. But for some couples that may not be a concern.
Tantalum
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Tantalum »

Due to my profession, there is absolutely zero risk of that ever happening.
But working from home with my wife around the house worked really well for us.
Paradox
Hammock
Hammock

Post by Paradox »

I'm not sure we could have partnered on more than the house, children and education in the first 20 years. On those things, we would lay out issues and resources, then divide and conquer. We were very productive that way, but we could not do any "projects" together until 10 years ago.
It seems ironic to me, that despite our communication challenges, we accomplished so much. All the children were homeschooled through grade 12, they were all in a large city's orchestra and went on to do very well in college. Since the children left home, we have grown two multi-million dollar businesses and really enjoy working together.
Mike smith
California King
California King

Post by Mike smith »

We did a mini business for a few years, I did the business, she did the bookkeeping. It worked.

Return to “Finances, In-Laws, and Job Issues”