Spending Habits

Money, In-laws, and other things that drive you crazy.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be read by guests, but ARE NOT seen by search engines.
ThereAndBackAgain
Single
Single

Spending Habits

Post by ThereAndBackAgain »

What are ya'lls spending habits? Do you spend more on yourself or your spouse? Do you tend to randomly splurge on something, like maybe a toy for yourself or your spouse? Do you eat out or buy snacks a lot?

For me, I've spent more on my GF over the months than on myself; excluding snacks I buy for the work week.
Last edited by Link+Zelda on Mon May 02, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic and removed date for title.
Olorin
Hammock
Hammock

Re: Spending Habits

Post by Olorin »

I have more expensive hobbies and thus spend more on myself than I do on DW. However, when it is clear that DW wants a particular gift, I don't hesitate to buy it for her.
Last edited by Link+Zelda on Mon May 02, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed date from title.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I spend more on myself than on my spouse...but I often spend more on others (kids/grands) than I do on myself. He has his own money to spend on himself, and he doesn't really get into the little things I would buy "just because" and we have had conflict around money and me being questioned about what money I spent, and that takes the joy out of gifting....I don't appreciate having to defend spending my own money.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Brynna
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

I am not a spender and buy very little for myself or DH. He likes to buy for me, though. Lol, I have to be careful what I say or want, because DH will possibly buy it. We rarely eat out and I buy no snacks. Probably what I buy most for myself would be plants, houseplants, bedding plants, succulents, etc.
footnassman
California King
California King

Post by footnassman »

We dont look at it as buying for me, or for her. We are both incredibly simple people. We dont want much. We have most of what we want and all of what we need. We dont have expensive habits that we feed often....she like a nice purse, and I enjoy buying that for her....but not very often. My most expensive habit would be purchasing a firearm....but I am also very practical....so I have several, but they all have a purposed use. I havent bought one in a few years. We spend on the house, or the kids. We enjoy going out to dinner, always once/week....on Wed, our "date night". Rarely do we go out for a second dinner during the week. We like casual places, not fancy, so it isnt terribly expensive when we do.

We dont have a "mine" and "hers" type of financial set up. We both work. Our money goes into joint accounts. She handles the household financial matters. I operate a small business and manage the financial part of that.
Irnmyk
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Irnmyk »

I earn, I deposit, she spends.
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

While I feel like Irnmyk, we both have our preferred things to spend money on. I’m not that gifty and DW prefers experiences anyway.

I’m sure things will change some when we have more income after DW passes her national boards but I also know that as our income goes up, so will our giving, taxes and retirement savings goals and as far as personal disposable income, she’s made very clear that she wants a raise in that category. 😂😒 Fine by me, ‘cause it’ll me more expensive electronics for me on occasion. 😁
Love and Theft
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Love and Theft »

She's more frugal than I am, and she's taught our kids to be frugal as well.

I'm good at investment savings (401k, IRA) but not so good at normal daily savings. I can burn through $100 in no time, going out to eat or shopping in a bookstore. Whereas she can make that $100 last for a month.
LovingHimAlways
California King
California King

Post by LovingHimAlways »

Irnmyk wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:07 pm I earn, I deposit, she spends.
My husband would agree with this and says it jokingly quite often.... :lol:

In truth, I am the bigger spender. I like to buy things for the house or the occasional cute clothes etc.

He typically doesn't do a lot of everyday spending. He likes to go crazy for birthdays, Christmas etc. He enjoys buying and giving lots of gifts for the holidays.

Return to “Finances, In-Laws, and Job Issues”