Is your spouse putting their parents ahead of your marriage?

Money, In-laws, and other things that drive you crazy.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be read by guests, but ARE NOT seen by search engines.
MrEden
King bed
King bed

Is your spouse putting their parents ahead of your marriage?

Post by MrEden »

If your spouse is (or was) putting their parents or other family members ahead of your marriage, please PM me.

Thank you.
1LuckyHusband
Single
Single

Re: Is your spouse putting their parents ahead of your marriage?

Post by 1LuckyHusband »

I know this is old, but I figured I'd reply openly. My wife has a great relationship with her family and her family is actually one of the most functional families I've ever been around. Truly blessed!

My wife, though, has a tendency to totally back-burner me when she's around her family and sister. They live a few hours away, so we see them maybe monthly, but when they're around, she's drawn to them and away from me.

I've shared with her how it makes me feel and shed light on things she's done or said that show she favors them or shows them preference. I know it's a special time so I've lowered my expectations when we're there. We've worked through it and sometimes hit bumps along the way, but overall it's much better.

My wife has also been intentional to give me sexual attention leading up to visiting them because she knows it'll likely be a bit of a drought sexually and emotionally while we visit. It's loving of her to do make that a priority.
Just a boy in love with the most amazing woman I know.
MrEden
King bed
King bed

Re: Is your spouse putting their parents ahead of your marriage?

Post by MrEden »

Thanks for reaching out. What a pleasant surprise!

Glad that you two are able to talk about this and work things out. Thanks for sharing and the encouragement of your success. It is good to resolve this now. The time may be coming when they will be living with you. If that happens, you certainly don't want a permanent dry spell.

Continued blessings on you and your marriage.

Return to “Finances, In-Laws, and Job Issues”