Online relationships

Forum rules
Post in this section can be read by guests, but ARE NOT seen by search engines.
Irnmyk
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Re: Online relationships

Post by Irnmyk »

SeekingChange wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 am
Irnmyk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:52 am
SeekingChange wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:34 am Is there a difference between a "long-distance relationship" and an "online relationship"?
Is this a rabbit trail?
Nope, there's a direct correlation.
Irnmyk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:52 am My perception of an online relationship is one where the parties engage online, to whatever extent that might be, words, pictures, videos, zooms, facetimes, etc., but never come in to one another's presence, ever.
If this is people's deciding factor on how they feel or support these relationships, that is kind of key. And in many relationships that start online, can end up being "long-distance" by this definition.... so how long is it acceptable to support an online relationship before it does or doesn't turn into "long-distance"? I know these questions may not be applicable to you personally, because you have had a positive experience with an online relationship.
See the yellow highlighted answer - whew, good, I didn't want an Admin or a Moderator to throw the rabbit trail warning.... (Now where is that tongue-in-cheek emoji when you need it? ;)

As to the meat of the matter, your last paragraph, that, to me, is difficult to quantify, the subjectivity being related to the nature of the individual relationships. In days gone by, people were "pen pals" for years without ever meeting, and the relationship never went much farther than that. That wasn't looked askance at that I ever heard about.

I have grandchildren who have online relationships related to gaming activities, and those could, potentially last forever. BUT, BUT, if one of them ever got into an online relationship with a member of the opposite sex that developed romantic or sexual or even marriage talk overtones, then I'd be the first to ask when they intended to move past the computer screen to a real life, up and close interpersonal meeting so as to ascertain if they really could even like each other, not to mention deeper love at some point.

I think that there is no 'one size fits all' answer.

Return to “Teens”