Guilt vs Conviction

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
LBD
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Blanket on a secluded beach!

Re: Guilt vs Conviction

Post by LBD »

(Are you able to write your long posts just as they appear here, or do you spend hours writing and rewriting, like I do? I'm so glad I don't do this for a living. I'd never get paid.)
Writing is a LOT of my job, so it comes somewhat easily...sorta. I have always been able to write out my thoughts better than speak them. But then I also speak for a living so... :roll:
I now have no need to feel guilty for past sin, because it's water under the bridge (rather, blood on the cross!)
Totally- ::praise
and my future sins were all paid for at the same time,
- sorta, but it is dependent. Jesus did what He did, no way I can change that. But I can ignore it. I can choose to sin without repenting, and then "there remains no more sacrifice for sin."
But to maintain my fellowship with God (NOT my relationship--that is fixed,) I need to keep the way clear between us.
There will be "sons of God" in hell. It is their choice to be there. "as a dog returns to it's vomit..." God wants relationship with His children. But He cannot abide alongside sin. I tend to equate those two things - Fellowship IS relationship.

We do not have to be perfect. But I do think we are expected to exert a "perfect" - meaning complete - effort. But even when we fail to do even that, God is merciful if we seek His mercy. And I do believe, to some extent, He overlooks our recklessness - as a father overlooks some of the reckless behavior that teaches. However, if we choose to leave the house and go party in the pig pen, He will not come dragging us out. He will however run to meet us and restore us when we choose to be restored. The "coming to himself" of the prodigal was guilt driven self-examination and awareness that the worst of what he left behind being better than anything he thought he was going to get, and ended up getting. His guilt gave way to repentance, and the father more than welcomed him back home. It is a story to remind the sinner that their guilt is not a reason to stay away, but a reason to turn to God for it's relief. Submit and humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up. I feel guilty when I choose to act against my own convictions toward the Lord to live otherwise.

Perhaps, the over-riding feelings of guilt and helplessness, the misplaced guilt that paralyses and drives one deeper into sin, could somewhat be the result of an incomplete vision of God the father? That's also a much deeper subject for another time...
There are no solutions, only trade-offs. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
ThereAndBackAgain
Single
Single

Post by ThereAndBackAgain »

strawberryblonde wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am
I get caught up in the foolishness and complete waste of time of 1 Corinthians 10:12, comparing myself to others, and them to me. FnAMan, I crave your liberty, but because no man lives or dies unto himself, I don’t want to disappoint more conservative friends and family who expect “better” from me; I also don’t want to be guilty of sinning before God in things that I once thought he was dealing with me about. Because God doesn’t change his mind. Am I backsliding and growing carnal and conformed to the world? Or was my “conviction” false? Of course, anyone can tell me what I want to hear, but only I can really know that. Funny thing is (and maybe my answer is found here,) I feel more guilty and conspicuous about outward things than I do missing my prayer and Bible reading time. Which is the greater disappointment to God? I’m sure I know.
I've felt that guilt a lot recently, especially since I live with my mother still. But I'm 99% sure that the guilt I've felt, for buying a stroker, taking time to learn my body, and even being on here; are just that. A guilt brought on by my conservative upbringing.

I do occasionally get convicted about not reading scripture as much, but that's something I've been working on.

The difference between Conviction and just Guilt is something I haven't figured out fully yet.
Oldbear
Hammock
Hammock

Post by Oldbear »

strawberryblonde wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am This is not about sex, per se, but it could be.

Good stuff here, from the QOTD thread. I’m one who carries guilt, even though I KNOW the blood of Jesus Christ has cleansed me completely and forever.
footnassman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:42 am
Oldbear wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:11 pm
SeekingChange wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:15 pm
LBD wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:44 pm If I feel guilty about a pleasure, then it is probably a good indication I need to curb that behavior. ::pray
This could be true, but not all guilt is holy conviction. Think how many wives might feel guilty about performing /receiving OS, or trying other sex acts....usually, it's a false guilt. Or, a mom feeling guilty about not spending every waking moment with her family....false guilt.
In the book, The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee, a well-written piece on the practical ways to live the Christian Life based on the book of Romans, he points out that Satan is the author of guilt and the Holy Spirit convicts. Holy conviction is a powerful, positive dynamic in the Christian’s life. Guilt, on the other hand, is destructive, quite often pummeling the Christian with a sense of failure and hopelessness.
I really like your take on guilt vs conviction.

I have often said, and wondered why, I am not saddled with guilt. I know many are, including many in my own family. I just dont carry guilt.

Conviction? Yep....when God lays conviction on my heart and in my soul, it hits like a hammer.
I am often conflicted about things that make me feel defensive or even guilty in front of my Christian brethren, but I don’t think(?) I feel guilty before God. We have traversed many stepping stones in our Christian growth, some of them very conservative, and there have been times I was certain I was under Holy Spirit conviction about a thing. Being conservative is a good thing when it’s in an effort to closely follow the Lord, but sometimes, somewhere, I feel there is a loss of grace.

I get caught up in the foolishness and complete waste of time of 1 Corinthians 10:12, comparing myself to others, and them to me. FnAMan, I crave your liberty, but because no man lives or dies unto himself, I don’t want to disappoint more conservative friends and family who expect “better” from me; I also don’t want to be guilty of sinning before God in things that I once thought he was dealing with me about. Because God doesn’t change his mind. Am I backsliding and growing carnal and conformed to the world? Or was my “conviction” false? Of course, anyone can tell me what I want to hear, but only I can really know that. Funny thing is (and maybe my answer is found here,) I feel more guilty and conspicuous about outward things than I do missing my prayer and Bible reading time. Which is the greater disappointment to God? I’m sure I know.

OldBear, thanks for the book reference. I need to figure out how to find my liberty in Christ and yet not “sin more, that grace may abound.”

And SC, no one feels more guilt than a mom.

I guess I’m not asking a question, just opening a discussion.
When StrawberryBlonde posted this some time ago, I missed her thoughtful musing about comparing ourselves to others. That’s such a challenge - a convicting challenge!

It’s really easy to do! Comparing ourselves to others is very discouraging. That often leads to disappointment when life seems to be unfair!

Being discouraged and disappointed makes me exaggerate!! Exaggerate that I’m inadequate, a failure, ‘everything is wrong’, etc. It’s during these times that I’m so thankful for the grace of God through Jesus’s sacrificial, redemptive work! It’s during these times that the Holy Spirit prompts me to count my blessings, ‘name them one by one.’ It’s during things times when the picture of Jesus with children surrounding Him and on His knees that reminds me to bask in His love with my childlike faith. I know that He loves me ‘just as I am!’

In Psalm 73, Asaph’s lament. he traces his own discouragement of comparing himself with others and his disappointment with life to the conclusion that he exaggerates! Then he declares (vs. 23-28) God’s omni-everything and His control and purpose over everything and all things.

Whenever guilt grips us or we fail to do or not do what we are convicted about, grasp - hold fast - to the freedom that we have in Jesus Christ through the strength and comfort of the Holy Spirit who guides us in love and grace.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”