Alpha Male

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
2pak
Queen bed
Queen bed

Re: Alpha Male

Post by 2pak »

Doug wrote: ...and also go on record in disagreement with the definition he has listed. I am not trying to be contrarian,

For my part, I am un-apologetically Alpha.
I get to pick on you. You can't apologize and then say you're unapologetic :).

I agree with you in that definition stuck out to me as well but it was silly enough that it wasn't worth my time. I also agree that an alpha male is very real, hard to define but you know when you are around it.

I keep reading these noble traits of leadership and although I admire them, I don’t think they are necessarily alpha.

Here's my best stab at it...

I've always thought of it more as a state of mind - natural or developed. An alpha is as he does. He lives his life as himself being his own mental point of origin with no real desire to defend or apologize for himself. He does what he wants. He's really not concerned with what others think of him or what he does.

'Alpha' is amoral and all in the application. I dont think its about leadership although many do become leaders. You can have an alpha drug dealer or an alpha business or church leader. An alpha that takes care of what he believes is his responsibility or an alpha who doesn't.

I'm probably lacking in my thoughts - hard to define really.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Doug
King bed
King bed

Post by Doug »

Personally, I wonder if the objection of recognizing the existence of an Alpha isn’t rooted in an unwillingness to be seen as a Beta.

That would be a misunderstanding of both. Some of the people whom I have valued most are n my professional life were Betas. People who were as or more knowledgeable than I, and yet stood in support, offering wise counsel freely, yet not challenged or offended when it was occasionally not followed. Nothing to prove to anyone.
SeekingHer
Double
Double

Post by SeekingHer »

I am a Lead Pastor & Lead a Church. I have Led Churches for 28 years now, since college. I have led many people to Christ and have Discipled many people over the years, including my own 4 children. So, am I an Alpha male or a Beta male? How would I know? Which is better?
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” - Matthew 19:26 NIV
Doug
King bed
King bed

Post by Doug »

SeekingHer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:40 am I am a Lead Pastor & Lead a Church. I have Led Churches for 28 years now, since college. I have led many people to Christ and have Discipled many people over the years, including my own 4 children. So, am I an Alpha male or a Beta male? How would I know? Which is better?
I don’t think either is necessarily better. Both are needed, and in reality compliment each other.

I’m not sure that there is a correlation between occupation and whether you are one or the other, but I do suspect that people are likely drawn to some occupation because of their natural tendencies. I doubt that you will find many accountants who are actually alphas. At the same time, I know a gentleman from the Special Operations world, now retired, who I can only describe as the most unassuming gentleman you would ever meet. Nothing in his outward appearance or mannerisms would give away his background. One of the most impressive careers you might imagine, and he looked absolutely harmless. He was absolutely lethal, but He was no Alpha, at least not in the commonly understood definition.
KatieMarie
King bed
King bed

Post by KatieMarie »

It is my opinion that the term "alpha Male" gets a bad rap because many think of the domineering, abusive type of man when they hear the term.

A man can be an Alpha male and not have any of those traits.

Girl, exactly! I mean my alpha male is someone who makes me WANT to have him lead me. Not “just” because he is a man, but because he is a leader who doesn’t have to tell me that he’s “in charge”. If that makes sense…..
LovingHimAlways
Hammock
Hammock

Post by LovingHimAlways »

KatieMarie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:13 am It is my opinion that the term "alpha Male" gets a bad rap because many think of the domineering, abusive type of man when they hear the term.

A man can be an Alpha male and not have any of those traits.

Girl, exactly! I mean my alpha male is someone who makes me WANT to have him lead me. Not “just” because he is a man, but because he is a leader who doesn’t have to tell me that he’s “in charge”. If that makes sense…..
Yes! To me, an Alpha male is a leader, someone that others naturally want to follow. While he exudes masculinity and strength, he is not domineering or boastful. He leads with a quiet self assurance that calms those around him. He is a very proud man that commands respect but, he never demands it. Nor is he interested in accolades. He leads by example and is naturally respected by others.
KatieMarie
King bed
King bed

Post by KatieMarie »

Yes! To me, an Alpha male is a leader, someone that others naturally want to follow. While he exudes masculinity and strength, he is not domineering or boastful. He leads with a quiet self assurance that calms those around him. He is a very proud man that commands respect but, he never demands it. Nor is he interested in accolades. He leads by example and is naturally respected by others.

^^^THIS^^^100%!
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I just had a new thought, and maybe it's totally off base and doesn't have to do with this, but it came after readying a comment from the article I referenced here...
the Article wrote:And your husband, who’s Alpha by nature (all that testosterone!) either rose to meet your energy level, which resulted in conflict, or he stepped back and let you take over—which means the sexual energy between you has waned.
Would not every man/husband have the natural opportunity to be "alpha" in his marriage, no matter what his personality reflects most of (alpha vs beta)? Would "beta" as a husband be more linked to passivity... not willing to step up and take responsibility, protect, provide, and lead?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
2pak
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by 2pak »

SeekingHer wrote:So, am I an Alpha male or a Beta male? How would I know? Which is better?
Depends. What you do doesn't necessarily make you an alpha. Being an alpha does dictate what you do.

Which is better? Depends. In terms of relationships, I believe women by and large have an innate dual mating hardwire. Sexual attraction is far higher toward an alpha type (think about athletes and rock stars attracting women in droves) BUT good beta cements security and safety - then connection. Too much alpha diminishes connection, too much beta becomes very unattractive and sexual attraction drops.

Outside of relationships an alpha or a beta can be very successful in life and business. I've been around both.

My .02c

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Doug
King bed
King bed

Post by Doug »

Upon considering things further, I would probably be more of a Lobo these days. Even my position at work is designated “Lone Worker”.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”